WARNING! Spoilers ahead!
Podcast Summary, Episode #12: Mormon Problems, Part Deux
Mormon Problems, Part Deux
- We once again attempt to destroy our listening base by further discussing the follies and intricacies of LDS theology.
- Our discussions will concentrate mostly on racism within the church and the Adam God doctrine.
- There are two kinds of being saved in Mormon theology: Salvation and Exaltation.
- The Adam God doctrine within mainstream Mormonism is hidden from its every day members wherein they’re instructed it’s not important for their salvation and they will discover the truth when they meet God. In Fundamentalist Mormon theology this plays a large role in their theology and is preached openly.
- Although this doctrine is commonly attributed to Brigham Young, is it possible that Joseph Smith was the originator of the Adam God doctrine and simply died before he could bring this truth forth?
- One of the greatest points within the LDS defense is that Adam God is a misquote, however there is so much evidence towards this being an actual doctrine that the early prophets were trying to bring forward it is impossible to consider as a misquote after a little research.
- The next defense that comes up is was Brigham Young wrong and that prophets are not infallible, however this tradition is not practiced within mainstream mormonism. What are the implications of his being wrong? Did Young die because he was stopped from leading the LDS church astray?
- This doctrine around the turn of the century was taken out of the temple ceremonies and has since been swept under the rug.
- Early institutionalized racism in the Mormon church is rampant. Joseph Smith and Brigham Young both had their own way of looking at it.
- Those with darker skin were those who sat on the fence when Satan and his followers fell away and therefore they are allowed to get a body, but none of the priesthood rewards.
- Where is the prophecy where dark skinned people will someday receive the priesthood instead of stating from the very beginning that God cursed them and will take care of it when they reach.
- There is a claim by the LDS church that the Word of Wisdom(i.e. exercise, don’t drink alcohol, don’t drink caffeine, etc.) is proof that the prophets of the church have a direct line to God, however with a little research you discover this is the thinking of the time.
- Next week we will attempt to get a discussion with one or two of the LDS faith, but if this is in vain we will put that off for a later time and cover something as of yet unknown.